If you love going to the gym and want to enhance your physical and mental performance, you need a pre-workout supplement.
But, one of the side effects of taking caffeinated beverages is extra energy. This leaves you wondering how long does pre-workout last in your system?
Throughout this article, I’ll discuss this question and others, giving you everything you need to know about pre-workout supplements.
- How Long Before Pre-Workout Starts to Wear Off?
- Can I Flush It From My System Faster?
- When Can We Say That Pre-Workout Is Starting To Kick In?
- What Influences Pre-Workout Supplements To Last Longer?
- Lasting Time of Popular Pre-Workout Brands
- What Is Pre-workout Crash and When Does It Occur?
- Metabolizing Pre-Workout Related Questions
How Long Before Pre-Workout Starts to Wear Off?
Generally speaking, the effects of many pre-workout supplements start to wear off after 2 to 3 hours and dissipate entirely within 6 hours upon consumption.
While this is a general timeframe, it isn’t always true, as several factors can influence the duration and intensity of pre-workout effects.
- Weight: Generally, body weight can influence how an individual responds to various substances, including those found in pre-workout supplements. A person with a larger body mass might require a higher dose to experience the same effects as someone smaller. Conversely, a lighter individual might feel the effects more intensely and for a longer duration from a standard dose.
- Food Intake: Taking a pre-workout on an empty stomach might lead to faster absorption and a quicker onset of effects. However, it might also result in the effects wearing off sooner. On the other hand, if you consume your supplement after a large meal, especially one rich in fats and proteins, absorption might be slower.
- Hydration: Staying well-hydrated can influence how your body processes the ingredients in pre-workout supplements. Dehydration can intensify the effects of stimulants, potentially leading to jitters, headaches, or other side effects.
- Individual Metabolism: Just as some people can drink coffee before bed and sleep soundly, while others may feel jittery from a single cup in the morning, the way one metabolizes ingredients like caffeine plays a role in how long the effects of a pre-workout supplement last.
- Specific Ingredients: While caffeine stimulates the central nervous system, other ingredients might have longer or shorter half-lives. For instance, ingredients like beta-alanine or creatine might not provide an immediate "kick" like caffeine but could have lingering effects on exercise performance .
- Dosage: Naturally, the more potent the dose, the longer and more intense the effect. Always adhere to recommended dosages, as taking more than suggested can lead to adverse side effects.
Now, the best pre-workout supplements formulas optimize both exercise and mental performance, and they usually peak in effect 30 to 60 minutes after consumption.
This is when you’d usually feel the most significant energy boost and heightened mental clarity that would stay with you for another hour or two, depending on the pre-workout formula.
Related Article -
Can I Flush It From My System Faster?
Sometimes you might want to get the supplement out of your system faster. We’ve all been there… maybe you’ve taken
While there are a few things you can do to help get pre-workout powder out of your system faster, it’ll all depend on your body, your intake amount, and the type of product.
But, you can try the following:
When Can We Say That Pre-Workout Is Starting To Kick In?
When you begin to feel a surge in energy, increased heart rate, and heightened senses - you can say that pre-workout is starting to kick in.
As we said earlier, this will usually happen around a 30-minute mark, but you could feel all of these as early as 15 minutes upon consumption.
Increased Mental Clarity And Focused Motivation
You know that moment in the movie "Limitless" where everything seems to fall into focus…that's how pre-workout makes your mind feel.
You'll be completely focused on the task at hand (your workout) and will have the motivation you need to complete the sets you'd generally dread.
Ever had pins and needles in your lips? It’s fairly common for beta-alanine and niacin to cause a
I often get mine in my lips and ears, it’s a funny sensation but a sign it’s working.
Boosted Muscle Energy
The set you struggled with last week will probably feel easier after you’ve had a few scoops of pre-workout and your athletic performance has been elevated.
Related Article -
What Influences Pre-Workout Supplements To Last Longer?
A few factors influence how long pre-workout stays in your system:
Lasting Time of Popular Pre-Workout Brands
When it comes to how long pre-workout stays in your system, each product is different.
Related Article - Alani Nu Pre-Workout Review
Related Article - REDCON1 Total War Pre-Workout Review
Related Article - Ghost Legend Pre-Workout Review
Related Article - Bucked Up (Deer Antler) Pre-Workout Review
What Is Pre-workout Crash and When Does It Occur?
It occurs when the initial “rush” of taking the supplement has worn off. The amount of time for this to happen can vary.
Related Article -
Caffeine has an elimination half-life of roughly 6 hours (depending on the person). The 6-hour half-life means that every 6 hours, the amount of caffeine in your system decreases by 50%. Caffeine will usually be in your system for up to 10 hours after taking a pre-workout. However, the supplement's effects can be felt between 30 minutes and two and a half hours after taking it.
While most pre-workout supplements shouldn’t show up on a drug test, there are times when taking pre-workout supplements will cause a false positive for amphetamines [3.] If you’re competing in any tested events, it’s essential to check that you’re not risking being banned from the event for the sake of using pre-workout products.
You can create your own pre-workout supplements by combining the common ingredients you’d find inside a store-bought product. Most use caffeine, creatine, beta-alanine, L-Citrulline, and Electrolytes. But, be aware that playing with raw caffeine can be dangerous. I always recommend using a store-bought pre-workout product that has passed rigorous quality control assessments.
Pre-workout lasts around two years after the manufacture date. However, this might be different for each pre-workout brand, so always check the date on the product before you use it. Generally speaking, most products turn clumpy if they’re left for too long and can be an indication that it’s past the use-by date.
While most state on the instructions to “consume” the product immediately after mixing it, I’ve drank mine up to 12 hours after mixing.
While I’m no doctor, most experts say you can breastfeed within 2-3 hours after you take pre-workout. However, I recommend you consult your doctor before you follow this advice.
As a personal trainer, I always recommend my clients take the supplement 30 minutes before the session.
Never take this supplement before bed. They stimulate your nervous system, sending your body and brain into overdrive. I always recommend the latest you should use the product is 3 pm. Even then, it’s pushing the boundary.
Pre-workouts are a fantastic supplement to add to your stack during your fitness journey.
However, when it comes to how long pre-workouts last, it depends on the supplement you choose to use.
Read through the article above and check out some of the supplement companies mentioned; their powder form pre-workouts are fantastic.
Take a pre-workout and let us know what you think.
3. https://www.dlgsc.wa.gov.au/docs/default-source/sport-and-recreation/combat-sports-commission/pre-workout-supplements-fact-sheet.pdf sfvrsn=ed71d832_2