Recently I’ve made a lot of guides regarding fitness equipment, mostly stuff for your own home gym. I realized that it has been sometime since I’ve put together another comprehensive guide about food or supplements. So I decided to great the ultimate guide for best casein protein powders on the market as of now. So without further due, let’s jump right into it.
Table of Contents
- Casein Protein Powders Compared
- What is Casein Protein?
- Casein vs. Whey Protein
- Does Whey Triumph Over Casein?
- Best Tasting Casein Protein Powders
- 1. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Micellar Casein Protein Powder
- 2. Dymatize Elite 100% Micellar Casein Protein
- 3. Noble Elephant Supplements 100% Micellar Casein Protein Powder
- 4. BodyBuilding.com Signature Casein Protein Powder
- 5. Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein Protein Powder
- 6. MuscleTech NitroTech Casein Gold Protein Powder
- 7. ProMix Nutrition 100% Casein Protein Powder
- Final Thoughts
- Bonus: How to Make Your Own Casein Pudding
Casein Protein Powders Compared
What is Casein Protein?
Before we jump right to the actual guide, I’d like to talk a bit about Casein. What exactly is it? Casein is a phosphor-protein and it is the most abundant protein in milk. It makes from 60% to 80% of all proteins in mammalian milk and from 20% to 40% of proteins in human milk.
Since it is an abundant milk protein, naturally, it’s a major component of cheese. Particularly as a food source, it contains carbohydrates, calcium, phosphorus and essential amino acids. EAC’s cannot be created by a human body; therefore, the only possible source is from food.
Most of you know that casein protein is a slow-digesting protein, therefore should be taken before a good night’s sleep. But why is it so? What makes it so special and different from other proteins, like whey protein?
Casein vs. Whey Protein
The main difference between the two is that casein protein is mainly indissoluble and keeps forming micelles structures, which are known to increase solubility in water.
When the milk is processed, the micelles structures become fractured and tend to form simpler gelatinous structures. This is the main reason of a slower rate of digestion and thus, steadier release of essential amino acids into body circulation.
Whey protein, on the other hand, is considered a fast-digesting protein, thus, release bigger amounts of amino acids into the circulation in a shorter span of time, thus giving human body a natural burst.
Does Whey Triumph Over Casein?
In short, no, it does not. While whey does offer burst of amino acids into the body and faster increases protein synthesis, it is short lived. There have been several studies that show that the best results came from the usage of both proteins, more precisely Whey protein shortly after training and Casein protein half an hour before sleep.
Best Tasting Casein Protein Powders
With that being said, let’s dive right into our guide of best casein protein powders on the market. Several major brands are producing this kind of protein powders and we will take a closer look at the very best ones.
1. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Micellar Casein Protein Powder
- PACKAGING MAY VARY - New look, with the same...
- SLOW DIGESTING – A great option between...
- MICELLAR CASEIN – 24 grams of a...
- SATIETY – Helps you feel full and support...
One of the oldest casein powders on the market developed by Optimum Nutrition has been dominating the market for several years. Gold Standard Casein Protein Powder delivers 24 grams of protein and 4.8 grams of BCAAs per serving (36.5g worth 140 calories). It is best used either between meals or before bedtime. The available sizes are: 2 lbs and 4 lbs.
I’d suggest being very picky about the flavor. While it differs from user to user, most reported terrible taste of the unflavored and cookie dough flavors.
2. Dymatize Elite 100% Micellar Casein Protein
- 25 grams of protein from 100% micellar...
- 5 grams of BCAAs, including 2.3 grams of...
- Ideal for overnight sustained muscle growth...
- Provides a sustained release of muscle...
Casein protein powder by Dymatize is very popular due its very good nutrient values and good taste. One scoop (36 grams in total worth 130 calories) offers 25 grams of protein, 2.3 grams of L-Leucine and 5 grams of BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids). The product is also gluten free. The protein is available in 2 sizes, 2 lbs and 4 lbs.
According to users, this product is sweetened, so if you prefer neutral taste, I’d suggest switching to a different powder.
3. Noble Elephant Supplements 100% Micellar Casein Protein Powder
- Pure Unflavored Powder. No Added Fillers or...
- Resealable Stand-up Pouch for Freshness.
- May Help Muscle Recovery and Muscle Growth.
- May Help Reduce Muscle Breakdown.
Casein protein developed by Noble Elephant Supplements also made it to our list of best casein protein powders on the market. While the protein is not very well known, it is a well-established casein protein powder.
Offers outstanding 27 grams of protein per serving, which is only 110 calories in total. It’s considered the best casein protein for weight loss. Contains milk & soy and does not contain any additives. The powder sells in 5 different sizes: 0.55 lbs, 1.1 lbs, 2.2 lbs, 5.5 lbs and 11 lbs.
Pleases note that this particular casein protein powder comes unflavored. If you like sweetened proteins, then look for an alternative.
4. BodyBuilding.com Signature Casein Protein Powder
- SLOW RELEASE PROTEIN: Make your protein work...
- SMOOTH FLAVORS: BodyBuilding.Com’s casein...
- CASEIN VS. WHEY: Whey protein digests quickly...
- FUEL YOUR LIFE: With 25 grams of slow release...
You may be surprised that bodybuilding.com was founded in 1999. Promoting many supplements, they also produced their very own casein protein powder. But that’s only one reason why it made to our list of best tasting casein powders.
Offering 25 grams of protein per serving (32 grams total worth 110 calories), it is definitely considered a great, filler-free supplement and a great casein protein for weight loss. The protein comes only in one size: 4 lbs.
This particular powder has been reported to taste very well with water and milk alike.
5. Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein Protein Powder
- Recover while you sleep: help prevent muscle...
- Zero artificial ingredients
- 25g protein per scoop, 11g of naturally...
- Certified Gluten Free & Informed Choice...
Casein protein powder by Ascent is one of the greatest tasting proteins out there and therefore, made it to our list of best casein protein powders on the market. It offers near-standard 25 grams of protein and incredible 11 grams of BCAA per serving (32 grams worth 110 calories).
It’s also completely gluten free. It is noteworthy that the protein is “Informed Sport Certified”, meaning it has been properly tested and it does not contain any banned substances. It comes in 2 sizes: 2lbs and 4lbs.
Many users have reported that all 3 flavors taste way better with milk rather than with water. It’s also great for weight loss dieting.
6. MuscleTech NitroTech Casein Gold Protein Powder
- Nitro Tech Casein Gold is superior to other...
- Delivers 24g of high-quality protein taken...
- Smooth, great-tasting protein powder that...
- Features 10 grams of BCAAS, L-Glutamine and...
This particular protein definitely deserves a spot in our best casein proteins list. It delivers 24 grams of protein per serving (32 grams worth 110 calories) along with 10 grams of BCAAs, precursors and L-Glutamine. It is also considered one of the best casein protein powders for weight loss. The protein comes in two seizes, 2.5 lbs and 5 lbs.
It is an excellent tasteful super-slow digesting protein worth the name.
7. ProMix Nutrition 100% Casein Protein Powder
- Low calorie night time protein supplement...
- 0 grams Fat and Carbs; you get 25 grams of...
- Our Midwest dairy farm partners ensure a...
- THE HIGHEST TESTING STANDARDS: Higher testing...
ProMix casein protein is the last but not least protein that made it to our list of best protein powders on the market. It features 25 grams of protein per serving (39 grams worth 145 calories).
One scoop also includes 7g of carbohydrates and 1 gram of fat. The protein is also completely free of gluten and soy. It has been also tested and confirmed that no GMO, no chemical bleaching and no additives were added. The protein comes in two sizes: 1 lbs and 5 lbs.
Several users have agreed that the protein tastes like chalky and it is recommended to be sweetened.
There we have it. Our list of best casein protein powders is complete. Now we know the difference between whey and casein proteins and when to use which. Remember that not every protein tastes the same and not every protein holds the same amount of calories or BCAAs.
I’ve tried my best to point out the most important notes and ingredients for each casein powder. I hope that my list was helpful to you and that you are now able get the right casein protein for you.
But before you go, I have a small bonus for you…
Bonus: How to Make Your Own Casein Pudding
What you will need:
- 1Fill one protein scoop (30-40 grams) of casein protein and put it into a bowl.
- 2Start adding water (slowly) until you see a pudding-like resemblance. Do not add too much, though, remember, we are not making a shake.
- 3This step is optional. You can add a little bit of syrup if you like the pudding sweetened. However, if you have rich-flavored casein protein, make sure to test it before you sweeten it.
- 4Put the bowl into a fridge for 40 minutes (considering you have used room-temperature water).
- 5Take it out of the fridge and add your favorite topping on top.
- 6Enjoy your very own Casein Protein Pudding.